Thursday, April 23, 2009

Society's Pressure for an Intimate Relationship

For a girl, it is almost like a ritual to sit around and talk and catch up with your girlfriends about each other’s lives. Of all the aspects of our lives, our love life tends to become the main top of our discussions. In my own personal experience, I have sat around countless times, listening to my girlfriends talk about their relationships, or their lack of one. I listen to my girlfriends who are single whine and complain about how lonely they feel due to the fact that they do not have a boyfriend and how much they badly want one. Conversations after conversations and topics after topics, the discussion about our love lives has never seized to be left out from our girl talks.

Society places a lot of pressure on us to have the most perfect life possible. We tend to feel that we should have it all: impressive education, successful career, loving family, supportive friends, and a significant other who we are perfectly compatible with, as well as a fairy-tale ending sealed with an adorable little baby in a carriage. This happens even when I get together with my friends to catch up. My friends would ask me what is new in my life, expecting an exciting story about a new boyfriend or at least a new eye-candy. When my response is that I do not have time for a love life because I am too busy focusing on school, they immediately exclaim that I can have both at the same time. After these conversations, I would start to believe that I should go out and meet new guys who could potentially be my new boyfriend or eye-candy, even though I have no interest in doing so, just so I would not disappoint my friends at our next get-together. Society puts a lot of pressure on us to have all kinds of wonderful relationships, so we seek out intimate relationships in hopes of relieving those expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment